Rindsuppe mit Einlage € 3,40
Gemüsecremesuppe € 3,60
Sacherwürstel mit Kren, Senf und Gebäck € 6,50
Theater-Toast mit Schinken, Käse, Tomaten, Spiegelei € 6,50
Gegrilltes Gemüse mit Schafkäse € 8,90
Palatschinken mit Blattspinat und Schafkäse dazu Salat € 10,50
Backhendlsalat auf Kartoffelsalat mit Kernöl € 8,90 €
Lachfilet vom Grill mit Gemüse und Petersilkartoffel € 13,90
Wiener Schnitzel vom Schwein mit Bratkartoffel und Salat € 12,90
Cordon Bleu mit Pommes und Salat € 11,90
Hühnerschnitzel gebacken mit Salat € 10,90
Rindsgulasch mit Semmelknödel € 10,90
Hühnerbrust natur gebraten mit Gemüse und Reis € 11,50
Palatschinken mit Marillenmarmlade oder Nutella € 4,90
Palatschinken mit Vanilleeis und Schlagobers € 5,90
In the Gasthaus zum Spittelberg you can expect the best traditional Austrian dishes and also weekly menus, which you can enjoy with a good „Glaserl“ here in the beautifully situated large restaurant garden with a view of the whole Spittelberggasse. In the heart of Vienna. The inn „Am Spittelberg“ is centrally and quietly located in a small cobbled side street, right in the historical heart of Vienna. In only a few minutes walking distance you can reach us from the Volkstheater and Museumsquartier, the Naschmarkt and the shopping mile Mariahilfer Straße and the Ringstraße.
The family Fedezuk runs an old established restaurant in Spittelberg in Vienna-Neubau. It would no longer exist, had the city fathers realized their demolition and reconstruction plans in the early 70s. But everything turned out differently.
The smell is fantastic! A veal Wienerschnitzel, fried to golden-yellow perfection, with pan fried potatos and a mixed salad, is carried into the Schanigarten (outdoor seating area) of the Gasthaus am Spittelberg. Herr Karl, who can look back at decades of experience in Viennese cuisine, takes care of the best Viennese specialties being served. On the menu, you find „healthy“ dishes like grilled vegetables with sheep cheese or spinach pancakes as well, but usually the more hearty ones, like goulash or roast beef with onions, are preferred. Among our guests there are tourists as well, who want to experience the Viennese culinary art. When the owner Wilhemine Fedezuk bought the restaurant lease in 1969, on the Spittelberg there was no sign of the tourists from all over the world who nowadays stream into the district.
The area becomes a special attraction in the weeks leading up to Christmas, when one of the most romantic Advent markets in Vienna is held here. During that time, the stall of the Fedezuk family is set up in front of the restaurant and offers punch and home made sausages. Daughter Manuela, who was born at the Spittelberg, has been taking part in the business for long time. Since a few years, she succeeds her mother in managing the restaurant and now runs it with the help of her children. The interior of the restaurant, which has been regularly modernised, is best discribed as modern rustic. Asked whether her children will eventually take over the restaurant, Manuela says that is still written in the stars and the more important thing at the moment is for them to study diligently in order to have other options as well. Although she loves this job, being a restaurant owner is no piece of cake – but then, which job is in these days?
Back in 1525, the citizen hospital owned acres and wineyards nearby St. Ulrich’s church. In 1584 it aquired a courtyard house in addition. In 1675, Christoph Sigmund Kirchberger began to parcel and lend out properties, which led to the name „Krowotendörfl“ the area along the Krobotengasse was given, corresponding to the immigrants from Croatia and Hungary. In 1693, the citizen hospital purchased the manorial rights on the Krowotendörfl and thus introduced the name „Spitalberg“, since around 1800 in it’s current form „Spittelberg“. In 1795, the area was sold to the city of Vienna. Vienna as the new land owner continued the parceling out. The now arising 120 houses, clustered in between of narrow alleys, mostly lacked courtyards or gardens, wherefore Spittelberg belonged to the most unhealthy areas of Vienna. For Vienna’s besiegers, the exposed position of the Spittelberg, from which one could pound around town at ease, was an advantage, which was often made use of. From here, Kara Mustapha began shelling the Viennese castle with 24 cannons in 1683, and general Bertrand opened fire on town on May 11th of 1809 with 20 howitzers from the very same spot. Until 1850, the
Spittelberg was tributary to the city of Vienna, but only as a manor, not as a district. Since 1850, when the suburbs got incorporated due to a legal mandate, it is part of the Neubau (originally 6t 1861 7th) district henceforth.
Revitalization measures starting in 1975 lead to restoration of the historic structure still existing. Despite new buildings fh, since rom the neo-renaissance era, the typical structure of a baroque suburb could be preserved. The public relations of the town administration consequently illustrated the Spittelberg as an essential success of historic sustainment.
For table reservations please call the following number!